When your child needs to visit an ENT specialist?

Read on to know when is the right time to consult an ENT specialist for your child.

pradeep vundavalli Created on 13th Apr, 21

An infant's health care needs are highly complex as the children cannot express their complications adequately. As a result, their parents require to meet with a doctor every time. Complications related to the ear, nose, and throat are some of the most common issues in any child's case.


Many parents experience a lot of troubles regarding the ENT complications of their children in Visakhapatnam. As a result, they eagerly try to find out the most reliable solution for their children. In this case, our ENT doctor in Visakhapatnam should be the first choice for your children.


If you are looking for the best ENT treatment, visit our ENT hospital in Visakhapatnam. Our expert physician can help your child with multiple ENT-related complications. This treatment can create conflict with the treatment of a pediatrician. So, when should you visit an ENT doctor in Visakhapatnam? Here are few tips to help parents decide whether their child needs to see an ENT or not.


Infections in the ears

Ear diseases are one of the most frequent causes you need to take your children to the ENT doctor. You may bring your children to see a pediatrician within their first three years of life. The reason can be an episode of otitis media infection. Since they are rare cases, there is no reason to seek further treatment from your child's pediatrician.


The below are some of the reasons to see an ENT with ear infections:


  • Per year, there are more than four infections.
  • Kids with speech delays are more likely to get ear infections.
  • Fluid between the face that does not go anywhere after three months
  • During an infection, the eardrum ruptures.
  • Multiple antibiotics have already been used for ear infections.
  • Children having trouble taking antibiotics, such as opioid allergies, excessive diarrhea, fatigue, and vomiting. 
  • Children who are intolerant to oral medicines.


Different types of infections 

Other illnesses that may include consulting with an ENT, in addition to ear infections, include repeated sinus infections in a year, chronic tonsillitis, or regular school absences due to sore throats or sinus infections. Infections of the sinuses and tonsils are normal in infants, and seeing a pediatrician is a safe first step. When these things start to affect a child's quality of life, it's a good idea to see an ENT.


The nose bleeds

Daily nosebleeds in children, particularly if an injury does not trigger them, are a matter of concern. Your child may need treatment by an ENT professional to reduce the bleeding incidence. You can get initial care from a pediatrician. But if your child experiences excessive bleeding, you should see an ENT specialist.



Children may snore at night, but if it has been going on for more than a few months. If it disrupts their sleep consistency with repeated awakenings or a risk that the child may stop breathing at night, you should consult an ENT expert. This necessitates a rigorous clinical examination, including the doctor inserting a camera into the child's nose to examine the upper airway. If required, an ENT doctor may handle this both medically and surgically.


Masses or Growths

A child's neck masses or lumps may cause anxiety. These are usually lymph nodes that are helping a child battle against infection. Your child requires an examination with our ENT specialist to see if any masses need to be separated or not. It should be performed for the following reasons:

  • Some swelling in the neck that is getting bigger and bigger
  • Skin discoloration along with the development.
  • If it is a congenital condition (the child was born with it)


There are several diseases that an ENT specialist can handle. However, this is not intended to be an exhaustive list but rather a reference to standard conditions that are likely to need further care. It is never a bad idea to seek medical advice from a pediatrician first and then visit an ENT specialist.