Are you troubled with ear discharge from the ear?
It is advisable to get your ear checked as soon as possible by a doctor. Please visit a reputed doctor to know the reason for ear discharge and get treated as quickly as possible. Asian ENT hospital offers suitable ear treatments for the residents of Visakhapatnam.
Asian ENT hospital is the best ENT hospital in Visakhapatnam for treating ears, nose, and throat. Dr. Pradeep Vundavalli of the Asian ENT hospital has successfully treated people suffering from ear diseases through accurate diagnosis and suitable treatment.
What is ear discharge?
Ear discharge or otorrhea refers to fluid or substance oozing out from the ear. The drainage could be watery or bloody fluid, or it could be whitish and thick like pus. The ear is one of the main sensory organs of the human body. It is important to know the cause of ear discharge and seek early treatment to prevent further damage to the ear. The origin of the ear discharge could be from the ear canal or the middle ear. In rare instances, it will be from the skull.
Life with hearing loss is certainly difficult, and hence it is advisable to visit a reputed and reliable ENT doctor in Visakhapatnam for treating ear discharge.
Are symptoms relatable to ear discharge?
- Difficulty in speaking, seeing, swallowing, talking, or any other neurologic function
- Diabetes or an immune disorder
- Recent head injury
- Hearing loss in the affected ear
- Swelling or redness in the affected ear and/or the area surrounding it
- Ringing in the ears
Causes of Ear discharge
- Acute infection in the middle ear – there is a sudden and severe infection in the middle ear i.e., otitis media with perforation of the eardrum.
- Chronic infection in the middle year – The patient suffers from infection along with perforation of the eardrum, cholesteatoma, or both.
- External ear infection – In cases of external ear infection, there is a rupture of the eardrum to release the infected material. A small hole remains in the eardrum even after the ear infection gets healed.
In cases of patients who have a hole in their eardrum are likely to suffer from chronic middle ear infections more. They are going to experience ear discharge in the event of ear infections.
Serious causes of ear discharge
- Fracture at the base of the skull: The passage of the ear canal is at the base of the skull. In the event of a fracture in the skull in the base area, blood or cerebrospinal fluid will discharge from the ear.
- Cholesteatoma: It is a noncancerous growth in the middle ear region of patients who have chronic otitis media. Cholesteatoma is a growth of skin cells that causes discharge and facial weakness, paralysis, and abscess in the brain, or any other infections. Cholesteatoma can damage the ear and its surrounding parts.
- Cancer of the ear canal
- Necrotizing external otitis: It is a severe form of malignant ear infection that occurs externally. People who have diabetes or HIV or any other immune disorders or chemotherapy on cancer patients are likely to suffer from necrotizing external otitis.
Doctor’s Examination and Diagnosis
If the discharge persists for more than five days, then it best to get a medical examination of the ear done by an ENT doctor. In the case of ear discharge, the patient should prevent water from entering the ear till the doctor checks it thoroughly.
At the doctor’s clinic: The doctor will ask for medical history and the conditions leading to ear discharge.
Certain actions that affect the ear and cause ear damage, including discharge are –
- Insertion of objects including cotton swabs to clean ears
- Use of ear drops
- Repeated history of ear infections
- Air Pressure
Clinical examination of the ear: The doctor will physically check the ears, nose, and other neurologic systems. The doctor uses a special light to view the inner passage of the ear canal to diagnose conditions such as external otitis, presence of a foreign object, perforated eardrum.
If required, special tests such as –
- CT or MRI
- Biopsy – if the presence of abnormal tissue is detected
- Culture swabs to identify the infection
Treatment of ear discharge in Visakhapatnam
The treatment for ear discharge depends on its cause.
- In the event of a hole or perforation in the eardrum, the patient should prevent the water from entering the ear.
- Placing a cotton ball with petroleum jelly at the opening of the ear canal
- Placing suitable sized earplugs in the ear canal
- A surgical procedure will be required to treat cholesteatoma.
- If the tear in the eardrum does not heal naturally, then the doctor will apply a special paper or opt for a surgical repair procedure to heal the tear.
- Antibiotics to treat infection in the swimmer’s ear in the form of drops and/or oral tablets.
- It is advisable to dry the eardrums properly
- Wearing earplugs or muffs to protect eardrums if exposed to high levels of noise.